Our Historical Past
In the summer of 1908
Brother Hugh Jamieson, a student at Centenary College, began a
little mission in the office building of the Queensborough Land
Co. at W. College and Hearne. After a successful revival, he
organized the Queensborough Methodist Church on January 10,
Following the revival, a building was erected at
Stonewall and Missouri. The 20 by 30 foot building served as a
temporary building for five years.
In 1913, a frame
building was built on the corner of Stonewall and Missouri.
W. A. Mangum became pastor in 1920 and served only 16 months. His
untimely death was a result of pneumonia he contracted while
working in the basement of the building (Mar. 20, 1922). The
church name was changed from Queensborough Methodist to Mangum
Memorial Methodist Church as a memorial to him.
brick building of the Queensborough Methodist Church was began in
1921 and finished in 1922. It later became "Mangum Hall".
In July 1942, the old wooden building was torn away and a
two-story educational frame building , later known as Fellowship
Hall, was built.
On Feb. 25, 1951, ground was broken for a
new sanctuary. The first service was held on Dec.23, 1951. The
cornerstone was laid April 6, 1952. Rev. A.W. Townsend was pastor
during that time.
On April 2, 1961, under the leadership
of Rev. John Kilpatrick, a new building was built behind the
In March of 1975, the Shreveport District Board
of Missions gave Mangum 20 acres of land on Pines Road to
relocate the church. On Nov. 14, 1976, under the leadership of
Rev. Henry Bowden, the church became Mangum Memorial Untied
Methodist Church. Thence came the invitation, "Come, worship
with us under the pines". Worship was held in what was to be
the activities building. Total relocation of the Pines Road site
from Missouri Ave. site was not until April 8, 1978 under the
pastorate of Rev. Dan Tohline. Classroom additions were made by
the summer of 1979.
Ground breaking for the new sanctuary
was held in the fall of 1987, under the pastorate of Rev. Lael
Jones (1983 - June 1988). Rev John Braden held the first worship
service in the present sanctuary, "under the pines" on
Dec. 19, 1988.